Monday, March 24, 2014

Buffalo Run 50-mile Recap

Famous poet T.S. Eliot once wrote, "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

As I prepared to run the longest race of my life, I did not believe it was too far for me. Never did I question whether or not I would be able to finish. As the day drew closer, however, the odds started to stack up against me. 

Two days before the race, my sinuses started draining. I started pounding vitamins and fluids into my system, and I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't keep me from the starting line. For two days I stressed over it, but the morning of the race I woke up feeling somewhat normal. I got ready, ate breakfast, and headed to the starting line. Unfortunately, I underestimated how long it would take me to get there, and I nearly missed the start of the race. I arrived with 4 minutes to spare! As I stood at the starting line with the other runners, I turned on my GPS watch and waited for the satellites to acquire. As the race director signaled the start of the race, the runners took off and left me still standing there waiting for my watch to aquire. When it finally did, I immediately took off and tried to catch up with the pack. I knew I couldn't take off to fast, or I would wear myself out, but slowly I began to pass runner after runner as we climbed the hill. 

Approximately 4 to 4.5 miles into the race I looked down at my watch with my headlamp to check my average pace and realized that in all the frenzy I forgot to push the start button! Oh well, nothing I could so about it now. I hurried and pushed the start button to track my distance and pace from that point forward. 

As I reached the Elephant Head aid station at mile 5.5, I stopped to locate my drop bag that was to be waiting for me there. I wanted to put my outer jacket and head lamp in the bag so that I wouldn't be carrying them, but I was surprised to find that my drop bag was not there. I must have arrived to late to have it transported. Oh well. Nothing I could so about it now. I tied the jacket around my waist and resumed the course. Five minutes later, I tripped on a rock and fell hard on the trail, bruising my shoulder, my knee, and my pride. Come on! Can't I catch a break? I was beginning to wonder if my bad luck would continue the rest of the race, but fortunately thing started to turn around. 

I finished the first half of the race much faster than I anticipated, in spite of my deliberate efforts not to push myself to hard and my nose running like crazy. The second half of the course took us back past the starting line before continuing on the east side if the island. Lucky for me, I ran right past my car, so I stopped long enough to toss the jacket and headlamp in the car and continued on. 

As the miles continued to click off, I did some quick calculations in my head and began to get a little concerned that I would make it to the ranch before Cory arrived to pace me the last 17 miles. Sure enough, I got to the aid station early and he was nowhere to be found. I took a few minutes to go to the bathroom and grab a quesadilla. Then, while looking around one final time before heading back on the trail, I finally spot Cory.  Just think, if I hadn't of started the race a minute late and hadn't of fallen down, I may have completely missed him. 

Anyway, for the next 17 miles, he was great company. We talked, ran, and enjoyed the time together. The last mile of the race, when I was getting tired and may have slowed down on my own, his encouragement kept me going to the end. We crossed the finish line with cheers and congratulations from complete strangers and friends. 



My final time was 10 hours, 5 minutes, and 34 seconds. It was good enough to make the top half of all competitors, 7th place in my age group, and 11th for overall females. I couldn't be more pleased. 

So now I have proven that I can run 50 miles. The only question that remains is whether or not I can go even farther.  I guess the only way to find out is to try!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm super impressed. When we finally get to run another marathon together, you're going to leave me in the dust!

    ReplyDelete