Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Outsmarting a 2-year-old

Kids these days are smart. Real smart. So smart, in fact, that in recent years NBC broadcast a game show called "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. "

In this game, a single contestant attempted to answer ten questions (plus a final bonus question). Questions were taken from elementary school textbooks, two from each grade level from first to fifth. Each correct answer increased the amount of money the player won, with a maximum cash prize of $1,000,000. Along the way, the player could be assisted by a "classmate", one of five school-age cast members, in answering the questions. Notably, upon getting an answer incorrect or deciding to prematurely end the game, the contestant must state that he or she is "not smarter than a 5th grader."

This is how I have been feeling lately, except it is a 2-year-old I have been up against, and sadly, the 2-year-old has been winning. However, yesterday I had a moment of brilliance which turned the game in my favor. Before I tell you about it, let me begin with some background. 

After Tyler turned 2, I decided it was time to make some changes in his room. I got rid of his crib and changing table, put in a toddler bed, painted the walls, and installed shutters to transform the space to a cute little boy room. I've been very pleased with the results. 

See before. 



See after. 



Although his room turned out great, I've been dealing with a hurdle ever since. Now that Tyler can get out of bed himself, he does. Frequently. Sometimes several times a night. For awhile I tried locking his door. That worked pretty well, until he learned how to unlock it. Then my troubles began again. Finally after weeks of not sleeping much, I had a moment of clarity. I drove straight to Lowe's and bought a new door knob that would be hard for him to open. 

I installed the new door knob yesterday, and I've got to say that last night was the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. I slept so well that it didn't even bother me when Tyler gave me a dirty look this morning when he woke up.

I should be ashamed of myself for being so proud that I outsmarted my toddler, but I'm not. :)

2 comments: